Old August 17th 05, 06:32 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Pat Flannery
writes

Christopher P. Winter wrote:

Indeed. But it's puzzling -- I've been researching nuclear accidents for
a couple of months now, and I've seen no mention of contamination from the
NERVA program.

Well, maybe they didn't list this one as a accident, as it did exactly
what it was intended to do- exploded. :-)
Still, this seems to be a really off-the-wall test to conduct; maybe
they wanted to see what launch site contamination would be like in case
of a catastrophic failure of a nuclear rocket motor.

The whole programme was off-the-wall by modern standards. Look at the
Reactor In Flight Test, which was suborbital

I've said this before, but that seems designed to cause a RIFT in
international relations.