Old June 30th 08, 09:44 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Default Soyuz to be fixed at Space Station

I know very little of these sort of bolts, but its certainly not beyond the
realms of design to make systems where the actual severing device is a bolt
cutter mounted on the actual craft, not in the bolt. I doubt if it were a
self sheering bolt, whether the idea would be entertained at all. Given that
its probably a guillotine or similar device, its probably fairly safe. The
thing is though, is it that the bolts do not sheer, or that the sheerer is
not man enough to sheer them?
Brian

Email:

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
"Jorge R. Frank" wrote:

Alan Erskine wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
om...
Hmm, time was that anyone fiddling with bolts that had any pyro devices
associated with them was a no no for flight crew. Are we saying that
these
are definitely categorically safe to fiddle with?

No. It shows how desparate they are to fix it.

Stated another way, they consider the risk incurred by the cosmonauts
fiddling with the pyrobolts is less than the risk incurred by performing
the next Soyuz entry without inspecting the bolts.

Which sounds frightening as hell.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.