Old October 9th 03, 04:16 PM
Phil Hobbs

Default NASA Research Propels Development Of New Glass

Derek Lyons wrote:

Christoph Bollig wrote:

(snip)
Exactly. I read through the whole blah blah in the hope to find out
what's so special about it and was very disapointed.

One wonders if you did read it, as numerous potential applications
were in the release.

D.

Let's not get into a flame war about this, gang, we've already used up
way more bandwidth than the original press release I was complaining
about. The application areas were named, but there wasn't much about
how you'd go about using it, or what its special properties actually
were. Glass laser rods typically have broader line widths, shorter
upper state lifetimes, and much poorer thermal conductivity than crystal
rods, which enables a few applications and constrains many others. This
glass apparently has some unusually good properties, but what are they?
(The post appeared in alt.lasers as well as sci.space.station.)

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs