Old June 18th 20, 01:11 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Size of engines

In article ,
says...

On 2020-06-17 07:24, Jeff Findley wrote:
Modern trans-Atlantic airliners have only two engines. Why?
Because modern turbofan engines are crazy reliable and losing
one means you can still get to an airport.

Thst is just on the surface. The rule is not so much about reliability,
but rather ability to complete a take off, remain at altitude and land
on a single engine. This means that each engine needs to have a surplus
of power available to compensate for loss of the other. So engine power
is what enabled twin engine widebodies. The first one being the A300 in
the 1970s.

The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) has very strict
requirements for engine reliability in order for aircraft to be
certified for Extended Operations (ETOPS) over the ocean. Cite:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETOPS

From above (emphasis mine):

The **cornerstone** of the ETOPS approach is the **statistics
showing that the turbine assembly of a modern jet engine is an
inherently reliable component**.

So your claim that it's "not so much about reliability" is simply not
true. It is, in fact the cornerstone of what it takes to earn the
required ETOPS ratings for long flights over the ocean.

Jeff