Old September 21st 18, 04:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Default Neil DeGrasse Tyson headed down same loony road as Carl Sagan?

Martin Brown wrote in
news
On 19/09/2018 16:53, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
Martin Brown wrote in
news
On 19/09/2018 14:22, Rodney Pont wrote:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 14:57:53 +0200, Paul Schlyter wrote:

I believe the galaxy and the universe has a large
population, likely in a uniform civilization, except for
the johnny-come-latelies like ourselves. If that's true,
then we won't be allowed to interfere
with
other developing cultures.

And what if it is false? Beliefs can be wrong.

Until we either meet one of them or exchange signals or find
independently evolved light on another planet it is guesswork.

Admittedly some guesses are better than others. Big bang
cosmology coupled with the laws of physics followed by
Darwinian evolution having considerably higher credence than
some omnipotent deity deciding on a whim to create the
universe last Tuesday* and fake all the history of his new
creation like a dodgy antique dealer to make it look older.

* Some sources think it was a Monday 6000 years ago.

You imply that theology offers a scientific hypothesis that can
be judged on scientific criteria.

I imply that religions are mostly "Just so" stories invented by
desert dwelling nomads telling each other stories around the
camp fire. They have no significance beyond being good memorable
foundation myths.

And that is your religious faith, and like all religious faith, is
your bigotry.

I am *NOT* an atheist. I am a hard line agnostic.

I don't believe you. Though it is novel to redefine "agnostic" to
cover atheism. Usually, it's the other way around.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek