Old January 30th 18, 06:15 PM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

Default Debbie Reynolds and Space History

From Jeff Findley:
In article ,
says...
That's the result you end up with when you fail to give due heed to the Molly Brown Spirit. Gus knew better. But I think he was willing to lay the lives of his crew on the line in hopes that this machine that was much bigger than him would change. Sadly, it was not until more tragedies culminating in 2003 that those changes would finally happen across NASA.

snip
You're taking footnotes in Space History and blowing them all out of
proportion and coming to the wrong conclusions. We all know about the
capsule Molly Brown and why it was named that way (after The Unsinkable
Molly Brown). It was because Liberty Bell 7 sank and the controversy
surrounding the sinking (some blamed Grissom).

JF 2017: "I personally have no idea what you're talking about."

JF 2018: "We all know about the capsule Molly Brown and why it was named that way"

JF 2019: [?]

NASA officially stopped naming Gemini capsules after the name Molly
Brown was chosen. They were kind of ****ed.

The Debbie Reynolds "connection" is coincidence. It could have been any
other actress and the capsule still would have been named Molly Brown
because of "The Unsinkable" to poke a stick in NASA management's eye.

I'll even provide a cite, which you failed to do:

https://vintagespace.wordpress.com/2...able-gusmobil/

There has been a disconnect on what happens to be common baseline knowledge for
a space history forum. Your 2018 position is that "we all know about this",
yet you see me not presenting any reference about such basic info as a failure
on my part.

This was the same position you expressed with me "failing" to provide a
reference on how Stone Mountain at the A16 landing site was named for Stone
Mountain in Georgia.

If we cannot find common ground on what constitutes baseline info, then that
adds to the difficulty in building upon the basics. A 'walk before run' kinda
thing. And with this disconnect at the starting point, it is no surprise to
have a disconnect at the ending point:

JF: "You're taking footnotes in Space History and blowing them all out of
proportion and coming to the wrong conclusions."

I point out many things that are obvious to me. And I wonder why I never see
anyone else point these things out. One simple example... In the many dozens
of books and tv shows and movies I have seen that cover Gemini, I have never
once seen anyone point out the commonality between Molly Brown the woman on the
Titanic and Molly Brown the space capsule atop the TitanIC'BM.

Does that make me weird? Does that make everyone else blind? I qualify as "a
troll" for pointing out something so simple? It is too simple for anyone else
to care about, so that's why they don't mention it?

Some day I might gain an understanding why there is such a HUGE chasm between
the way I see things and the way that others see things. Like all this crazy
amount of energy spent just for me to present the case that Stone Mountain has
a racist legacy. To me, this goes without saying.

I find some measure of satisfaction that for this particular point, MLK has the
same view on this as me. In his I Have A Dream speech, he does not explain
*why* he mentioned Stone Mountain the way he did. He is confident that the
vast majority of his audience is well aware of the KKK / lynching legacy of
Stone Mountain.

~ CT