Old October 16th 12, 05:58 AM posted to sci.space.history
snidely

Default Unplanned engine-out resiliance test for CRS-1 Falcon 9?

Jeff Findley explained :

[David Spain, although Jeff's newsreader may have been confused about that]
Yup. However, it is also an opportunity. As a paying secondary customer,
maybe in the future I can get a break on my bill because of this higher risk
than say, I might pay to be a secondary payload on a mission of less risk,
like a GEO sat insertion primary payload which has no risk of collision with
ISS or any other manned object?

It would be interesting to find out what the cost for this flight was
since the secondary payloads are taking a greater risk than the primary,
especially when the primary involves NASA and ISS.

Quote from NBCNews.com:

quote
Satellite messaging service provider Orbcomm on Oct. 11 said its
prototype second-generation satellite, launched Oct. 7 into a bad orbit
by a Space Exploration Technologies Corp. (SpaceX) Falcon 9 rocket, had
fallen out of orbit but had provided enough data to proceed with the
launch of the full constellation starting next year.
/quote
url=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49403078/ns/technology_and_science-space/#.UHzor8XA-So

You may have seen the news at other sites, as well.

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?