Old October 7th 03, 06:35 AM
Chris L Peterson

Default Photoshop and Mac and Windows

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 04:44:11 GMT, John Steinberg
wrote:

Chris, you've asserted on at least two different occasions, and on two
very different threads, that Adobe ports the Win version of PS to Mac.
Davoud has provided compelling evidence by an actual named PS developer
that this is false.

My friend says primary development is performed on Windows platforms, and then
ported. Frankly, I find it much more likely that the software is developed on
one platform - any platform- than that is developed independently on two. I
don't find the comments relayed by Davoud compelling, but I've no problem if you
do.

I note for the record that you or your friend's story has now evolved
to include PS8. You never previously mentioned v.8 anywhere and at any
time, and if you have, I'd be delighted to be corrected.

Evolved? Shall I quote my much earlier post?

"I've got a good friend at Adobe. Since V5 they stopped developing PS on Macs,
but do all the development in Windows and then port it. The word is that they
are losing money on PS for the Mac. They've abandoned Premier with the current
version, and are looking to stop supporting Illustrator and PS. She thinks V8
will be the final version they do for that platform. We'll see. Supposedly,
Apple is working on their own image editor."

Moreover, I've read both of Adobe's and Apple's annual reports for many
years, and at no time and in no place has there ever been any
documentation to support your contention that some kind of Apple/Adobe
deal was ever cut.

On the contrary, as I've repeatedly stated, and you've blithely
ignored, based upon Adobe's own financials, they derive
signficant revenue via their Apple offerings. Cutting a deal to
continue to do so makes no sense whatsoever from any reasonable
perspective.

I don't know more details than I gave. But I can well imagine that a deal need
not be purely financial, or show up in an annual report. (BTW, I own a nice
chunk of Adobe stock, so I read those reports, too.)

Significant revenue is not the same as significant profit. Those "significant"
revenues may be considerably offset by significant development and support
costs. Having personally seen how many print houses are bailing on Apple
hardware, I can easily believe that Adobe sees the writing on the wall and only
sees the profits in supporting the Mac continuing to decrease (or perhaps the
losses increase).

Please, don't accuse me of predicting anything here! I'm only saying that I find
this as believable a scenario as anything you or Davoud is painting.

Now please, let's just let this drop and get back to stargazing! I already said
that once before, but I'm reluctant to let it go when the suggestion is that I'm
blatantly lying. You and Davoud and anyone else are welcome to put as little or
as much confidence as you want in my source, but please don't make it personal.
I was just passing on a bit of inside rumor, nothing more.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com