Old October 27th 17, 02:29 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default Were liquid boosters on Shuttle ever realistic?

On 2017-10-26 16:21, Fred J. McCall wrote:

That's because you're either not paying attention or you have the
memory of a mayfly, Mayfly. It's been mentioned several times that
the side boosters are 'used', which means they're original Falcon 9
equipment that has been retrofitted.

In his recent Australian speech, Musk explicitely said that ALL of it
had to be re-engineered, hence the delay for Falcon Heavy. The original
expectation close to what you described.

Except what you're getting from his statement is not what he said. Are
the engines different? No. OK, that's already NOT "all of it
re-engineered". Are the tanks, piping, or electronics different? No.
There's more. Mayfly, we KNOW that the two side boosters are 'reused'
from Falcon 9. It's been announced. The boosters have been
identified. It's been talked about here before. We also know there
are structural changes required in order to handle getting loads from
the side attachment points vs straight down through the axis of the
booster. There will obviously be software changes, but that's 'just
software'.

Does your brain reset to factory fresh every time you get a new fact?

territory."
--G. Behn