Old June 28th 07, 08:10 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Chalky

Default Quasar found 13 billion years away

On Jun 27, 1:52 pm, "
wrote:
On 26 Jun, 10:35, Chalky wrote:

You have thus missed my real point, which is as follows:

Closer to us than the surface of last scattering, we should 'see'
successively closer shells of successively cooler gas, which should
emit thermal radiation, according to temperature. However, if the
temperature increases with redshift, and that radiation is, by
definition, redshifted by that redshift, all successive shells should
reinforce a black body 2.7K spectrum, when measured in the here and
now.

Rephrase it slightly - after correction for
the red shift, more distant neutral hydrogen
clouds, which were essentially in equilibrium
with the apparent temperature of the CMBR to
which they were exposed, should have higher
temperatures.

In fact that has been observed.

I agree, as does Jonathan Thornberg, apparently, in his posting
earlier.

However, I doubt that neutral hydrogen is the only thing which obeys
the basic rules of thermodynamics.

Phillip Helbig's quoted dark matter "bricks" would, I expect, be at
thermal equilibrium too.

Interesting, this term thermal equilibrium. It means the matter
(whatever it is) is emitting and absorbing thermal radiation in equal
measure.

Each lump of matter has the CMBR from the past, arriving from all
directions.
Each lump of matter must radiate as much as it absorbs, for thermal
equilibrium to be maintained.

So, is the theta and phi mapping of the CMBR a direct map of density
fluctuations at z=1069? That seems hardly likely once the above
described mechanism for maintaining thermal equilibrium in
intergalactic space therebetween, is taken into account.

Chalky.