Old July 2nd 03, 09:20 PM
bwhiting

Default PHOTO OF THE WEEK The No-Name Galaxy

Personally, I'm going to start calling 4565 "Berenice's hair clip...
never heard that term before, and I like it...save "the Needle"
for...... NGC-100....supposedly the thinnest galaxy in the Universe.
(although I'll probably get ragged for that one).
FWIW
Clear Skies,
Tom Whiting

Steve Willner wrote:
In article ,
Adriano writes:

Everyone I know has always called it the "Needle". At least for the last
25 years.

Interesting. SIMBAD doesn't show any name for this galaxy, and I've
never heard it referred to by any name. Neither fact may mean very
much, though. The galaxy doesn't look much like a needle to me, at
least from the images. Anybody care to describe its visual
appearance?

I like David Knisely's suggestion "Berenice's Needle," or at least
Berenice's (something). NGC 891 is a similar edge-on galaxy.