Old July 18th 06, 02:30 PM posted to sci.space.moderated
[email protected]

Default Unintended Hubble Lessons

Is anyone concerned that by refusing to accept an end to Hubble that we
are really teaching mission designers and evaluators to avoid astronaut
serviceable projects in the future? It seems to me that we should
rationally and dispassionately deorbit Hubble, and move on towards
launch of the next optical space telescope; but because of political
and emotional reasons, we'd prefer to spend more money servicing the
old vehicle, instead of spending that money on the next vehicle.

Thoughts?