Old February 12th 07, 03:07 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.physics.relativity,sci.math,comp.ai.philosophy
Daryl McCullough

Default Some troubling assumptions of SR

Lester Zick says...

Einstein's postulate of an isotropically
constant relative c requires a variably dependent spatial geometry.

No, it doesn't.

There is no special mystery about this. It's in the source document.
In order to comply with FLT and his postulate of an isotropically
constant relative c, spatial geometry in the direction of v must be
contracted by a second order function of v.

You are confused. Time dilation and length contraction are
effects involving transformations between two different
inertial coordinate systems. Look at the analogous transformation
in Euclidean coordinates. You have one coordinate system with
coordinates x and y. In another coordinate system rotated relative
to the first, the coordinates are x' and y' related to x and y
through

x' = x cos(theta) + y sin(theta)
y' = y cos(theta) - x sin(theta)

To see the analogy with the Lorentz transformations more clearly,
let's introduce a parameter m = tan(theta). This is the "slope"
of the x' axis measured relative to the x axis. In terms of m,
we have

x' = 1/square-root(1+m^2) (x + m y)
y' = 1/square-root(1+m^2) (y - m x)

Would you say that in the rotated coordinate system,
that the x' axis is "contracted" by an amount related
to the slope m? No, not at all. Rotating a coordinate
system by a slope m doesn't cause it to contract any
more than moving it at speed v does in Special Relativity.

You seem very confused.

Perhaps, just not as confused as yourself, Daryl.

I'm confused about a good many things, but Special
Relativity is not one of them. On this particular
subject, you don't know what you are talking about
and I do. I'm sure there is a topic where you know
what you are talking about, but physics apparently
is not one of them.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY