Old September 7th 03, 10:34 PM
Ron Miller

"Flying _Naked_People" http://www.rcip.com/nerdgerl/email.htm wrote in
message
Have there *ever* been photos shown to the public (in color) that

have -not-
been manipulated?

Yes, and they can be found with only a little difficulty (some more so than
others). One of the problems often is that the original photos look crappy
until they've been processed.

I've heard people say mars isn't as red as we've been lead to believe. I

would
much rather see the real colors than manipulated ones, but I can

understand
why they do it for the sake of getting more detail. I think they should
display both photos side-by-side, rather than just releasing a blood red
planet when there have been reports of blue and green on the real deal!!

I agree with you. Fortunately, most of the MGS color images available from
Malin Space Science Systems (http://www.msss.com/) seem to be very close to
what you would see with the naked eye.

RM