Old May 31st 20, 05:32 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Great job SpaceX

In article ,
says...

On Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 9:24:25 PM UTC-4, Alain Fournier wrote:
Nice launch.

This rocket is a lot bigger than it looks, it is taller than the Saturn 1B and has
greater payload to low Earth orbit.

Yep. Falcon 9/Merlin first stage is quite a bit more advanced than the
Saturn 1B first stage (cluster's last stand) which was made from
existing tanks clustered together and was therefore less mass efficient
than a "clean sheet" would have been.

The upper stages are just different (kerosene on Falcon upper stage
versus LH2 on the Saturn), so hard to tell which one is "better".

Jeff