Old March 15th 12, 01:45 PM posted to sci.space.history
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

Default Where No Beagle Has Gone Before

"Joseph Nebus" wrote in message ...

There are several comic strips worthy of attention, though.
I think the strongest for capturing the world-of-children spirit is
Richard Thompson's _Cul de Sac_, although right now is a poor time
to start reading the strip since --- who says the universe isn't at
heart cruel and ironic? --- Thompson suffers from Parkinson's, and
other cartoonists are filling in while he tries new treatments. But
it has a fantastic voice.

http://www.gocomics.com/culdesac/

I've got to say, I find this one hit or miss, more often miss.

Brian Basset's _Red and Rover_ is deliberately set in a
nostalgically-remembered circa-1970, so besides generally sweet stuff
of a kid and his dog there's prime Golden Age of NASA stuff going on.

http://www.gocomics.com/redandrover/

This is one thing I miss from not getting the Washington Post any more. It
reminded me very much of Peanuts meets Calvin and Hobbes with a very
poignant nostalgia mixed in. Very cool comic for space cans.

In between weeks of editorial cartooning Darrin Bell's
_Candorville_ is also deeply interested in space, science fiction,
and their interactions. (A recent comment about the likelihood of
launching a spaceship to travel 600 light-years within the next
millennium brought Bell around to rec.arts.comics.strips, too.)
Last week's reruns included a nifty Apollo sequence, too, starting
on March 6 and running through the 9th.

http://www.gocomics.com/candorville/

Again, I find this hit or miss, but generally a hit. Local newspaper
doesn't carry it either though.

And it's a clip art strip, but it's often a really bright
clip art strip: _New Adventures of Queen Victoria_, by Pab Sungenis,
and yeah, its punch lines sometimes depend on you being able to
recognize Edward IV in a picture, but the comment threads usually
clarify who's on screen. Beethoven is of course a supporting
character.

http://www.gocomics.com/thenewadvent...queenvictoria/

Haven't seen this one.

None of them fill the gap Schulz left, but, between all sorts
of strips there's much to appreciate.

Probably one of my favorites these days is Pearls Before Swine. I think
partly because I know people like Rat, Pig and Goat.