Old March 7th 04, 09:18 PM
Mike Ruskai

Default Definitions Astro "Messier Objects"

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 16:44:40 GMT, Mark F. wrote:

Ok I looked in two dictionary and could not find "Messier Objects".

Would one of you kind astronomers give a layman's definition to me.

Charles Messier was a 18th and 19th century comet hunter. He created a
list of fuzzy objects that were definitely not comets, for the purposes of
ruling them out in future observations.

A few of the objects on the list weren't actually added by him, but it has
since been used as a reference for some of the best objects for observing
in the sky.

--
- Mike

Remove 'spambegone.net' and reverse to send e-mail.