Old February 28th 17, 06:54 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
BogeyOne

Default trappist-1

Chris L Peterson wrote:

On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 16:33:21 +0100, Paul Schlyter
wrote:

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 07:42:07 -0700, Chris L Peterson
wrote:
With a visual magnitude near 19, it's an easy imaging target,

but
not
possible to see visually.

Not even with a 2.5 meter or larger telescope? Yes, interested
amateurs can rent the Hoover telescope.

The Hooker telescope? Yes, I've observed through it visually.

However,
even with a newly re-aluminized 2.5 meter telescope, magnitude 6
skies, a large pupil, high power, and good seeing it's doubtful

even
an expert observer would see a mag 19 star. But not impossible.

Still, short of the rare opportunity to take advantage of a huge
aperture instrument under ideal conditions, I think it's safe to

say
this object is out of visual reach of amateur astronomers (even if
it's easily imaged).

Indeed. Pluto was a tough object for me under 6th magnitude skies
using a 12.5 inch newtonian. Had to verify it amongst the star
field over the course of several days.