Old September 4th 11, 06:18 PM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,sci.astro
GSS

Default What is wrong with the 'Mainstream Scientific Establishment'?

On Sep 4, 12:30*am, "Androcles" .
2011 wrote:
"GSS" wrote in message

| Agreed that grasping the intricacies of physical phenomena and
| developing theories thereof, is a slow and tedious process which forms
| an integral part of our evolution. But why mistaken beliefs, erroneous
| assumptions and wrong theories go undetected, uncorrected for hundreds
| of years even in the modern age of instant communications?

Politics, bigotry, ignorance, no mathematical ability, cash incentives.

Why the
| collective wisdom of millions of scientists in the 'Mainstream
| Scientific Establishment' cannot detect, check or correct the follies
| of a few individuals for hundreds of years? The case in point is the
| Theory of Relativity by Albert Einstein. Precious human and material
| resources are being wasted in sustaining the mistaken beliefs in
| 'length contraction', 'time dilation', 'spacetime curvature' and
| fictitious 'Inertial Reference Frames in relative motion'.

That's what I mean. In your ignorance you are sustaining the mistaken
belief that Einstein is responsible for length contraction whereas his
equations indicate length EXPANSION. And there is nothing wrong
with a moving frame of reference, any fool riding in a car is at rest
relative to the windscreen and moving relative to the road, it isn't
magic. If it is fictitious then every length, symbol or TV image is
fictitious, from this text which has no ink on your screen to money
which only has value for trade. Discs of metal, gold bars and
diamonds have no survival value, they cannot be eaten. And all
diamonds do is refract light, making pretty colours, otherwise they
are just another rock folly.

| Recently Pentcho Valev had quoted some excerpts from an article,
| "Einstein's sceptics: Who were the relativity deniers?" in New
| Scientist, 18 November 2010 by Milena Wazeck.

As I said, cash incentives. New Scientist is profitable magazine.

| [Yet what flourishes today on the fringes of the internet was much
| more prominent in the 1920s, in the activities of a movement that
| included physics professors and even Nobel laureates. Who were
| Einstein's opponents?

ME!

(...) Gehrcke was an experimental physicist at
| the Imperial Technical Institute in Berlin. Like many experimentalists
| of that era, he felt uncomfortable with the rise of a theory that
| demanded a reformulation of the fundamental concepts of space and
| time. In 1921 he argued that giving up the idea of absolute time
| threatened to confuse the basis of cause and effect in natural
| phenomena. (...) Another motivation was more noble. Einstein's
| opponents were seriously concerned about the future of science. They
| did not simply disagree with the theory of general relativity; they
| opposed the new foundations of physics altogether. The increasing role
| played by advanced mathematics seemed to disconnect physics from
| reality. "Mathematics is the science of the imaginable, but natural
| science is the science of the real," Gehrcke stated in 1921. Engineer
| Eyvind Heidenreich, who found relativity incomprehensible, went
| further: "This is not science. On the contrary, it is a new brand of
| metaphysics." (...) By the mid-1920s Einstein's opponents were facing
| overwhelming resistance, and most refrained from taking a public
| stance against the theory of relativity. Many of them simply gave up,
| and the Academy of Nations ceased to serve as the central organisation
| campaigning against Einstein, though it lingered on until the early
| 1930s. But the anti-relativists did not revise their opinion. In 1951,
| Gehrcke was still writing letters about the fight against relativity.
| "The day will come where everything about this theory will be
| abandoned by the world at large, but when will this be?" he asked. The
| debate about relativity lingers on today. Though the new generation of
| Einstein's opponents have mostly moved their protests online, they
| share some fundamental characteristics with their predecessors.]
|
| It is not a normal phenomenon that mistaken beliefs, erroneous
| assumptions and wrong theories could go undetected, uncorrected for
| hundreds of years, in spite of the relentless efforts of many
| intellectuals.

Why not? Ptolemy's epicycles lasted 1400 years. The Neolithic Egyptian
pyramid follies are much older.

| It points to a serious malady in the body of
| 'Mainstream Scientific Establishment'. In my opinion, following
| factors have contributed to the growth of this malady.
|
| (a) Growing *complexity of mathematical models developed to represent
| physical reality, often obscure the physical reality to such an extent
| that the difference between the two is lost in wilderness.
|
| (b) It is generally believed that a physical theory can only be
| invalidated through the results of practical experiments, but the
| founding assumptions of the theory are rarely examined or tested in
| depth.
|
| (c) Often particular interpretations of observations made during
| practical experiments are announced as results of those experiments.
|
| (d) With the advent of specialization and super-specialization, the
| expertise in different fields of science has got compartmentalized to
| such an extent that no body expects an 'outsider' to check or correct
| any erroneous assumptions made in a specialized field of research.
|
| (e) All established systems of training new scientists, invariably
| contain an implicit component of 'indoctrination' that encourages
| maintenance of status quo and discourages questioning of the
| established beliefs and dogmas.
|
| However, it still remains an enigma as to how the mistaken beliefs,
| erroneous assumptions and wrong theories could go undetected,
| uncorrected for hundreds of years, in spite of the relentless efforts
| of many intellectuals?
|
| Learned readers are requested to share their views on this issue.

It's not about science, it's about faith. A moslem is a moslem because
all his family and friends are moslems and he was raised a moslem.
A jew is a jew because all his family and friends are jews and he was
raised a jew. A xtian is a xtian because all his family and friends are
xtians and he was raised a xtian. A hindu is a hindu because all his
family and friends are hindu and he was raised a hindu. A relativist is
a relativist because all his family and friends are relativist and he was
raised a relativist.

| Further, kindly refer to my following two papers published in a
| mainstream international journal of physics, which clearly establish
| that the theory of Relativity is founded on erroneous assumptions and
| sustained by mistaken beliefs.
|
| 1. *Proposed experiment for detection of absolute motion
| Abstract: According to special theory of relativity, all motion is
| relative and existence of any privileged or absolute inertial frame of
| reference, which could be practically distinguished from all other
| inertial frames, is ruled out. However, we may define an absolute or
| universal reference frame as the one which is at rest with respect to
| the center of mass of the universe and assume the speed c of
| propagation of light to be an isotropic universal constant in that
| frame. Any motion with respect to such a reference frame will be
| called "absolute motion." The proposed experiment establishes the
| feasibility of detection of such an absolute motion by measuring the
| up-link and down-link signal propagation times between two fixed
| points on the surface of earth. With current technological
| advancements in pulsed lasers, detectors, precision atomic clocks, and
| computers, feasibility of the proposed experiment has been confirmed.
| Successful conduct of the proposed experiment will initiate a paradigm
| shift in fundamental physics.
|
| This paper demonstrates that the second postulate of SR is wrong, and
| that the Newtonian notions of absolute space and time are correct. It
| describes a simple doable experiment to confirm the same.
|https://sites.google.com/a/fundament.../Home/book_fil...
|
| 2. *Demystification of the spacetime model of relativity
| Abstract: The geometrical interpretation of gravitation in general
| theory of relativity imparts certain mystical properties to the
| spacetime continuum. The mystic connotations associated with this
| spacetime model may be attributed to the fallacious depiction of
| spacetime as a physical entity. This paper proves that the spacetime
| continuum in general relativity is a simple mathematical model and not
| a physical entity.
|
| This paper establishes the fact that GR is founded on the mistaken
| belief that the spacetime is a physical entity which can even get
| "curved". It has been clearly demonstrated that spacetime is not a
| physical entity but just a mathematical 4D 'graphical' template used
| to compute gravitational trajectories of particles as geodesic curves.
| The so called "curvature" of spacetime is an utterly misleading
| 'misnomer' which just represents a non-zero value of the Riemann
| tensor composed from the scaling factors of different axes of the
| 'graphical' template.
|https://sites.google.com/a/fundament.../Home/book_fil...
|
| GSS
|http://book.fundamentalphysics.info/

You've added nothing useful, made no new discovery.
You have some utterly religious bull**** about the "permittivity
of free space" based on your own faith. YOU are adding to the
mystique.
Why (is it) the collective wisdom of millions of scientists in the
'Mainstream Scientific Establishment' cannot detect, check or
correct the follies of a few individuals for hundreds of years?
Because gurcharn sandhu keeps on spreading the bull****, thick
and rich.
--Androcles

For hundreds of years???