Old August 6th 11, 02:54 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default Speed of individual photons cannot exceed speed of light in avacuum

On 05/08/2011 2:35 AM, PD wrote:
On 8/4/2011 10:58 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Well, I think that's their biggest problem, they are so enamoured with
the equations that they don't stop to understand the physics anymore.
They think if it's got a fabulous equation that seems to fit one set of
data, then that equation must be telling them something about the
universe, and they should be trying to fit every other piece of data
through the same equation.

In the case of string theory, you are a little off base. String theory
offers no equation that is an empirical fit to data -- if it did that,
then it might be on firmer ground.

No, actually String theory offers us equations that are a fit for all
data. Nothing can be falsified, because all you need to do is rejig the
parameters and it'll fit the new data.

Here, I'm trying to figure out a physical description of the mechanism
that can be visualized somewhat in our minds.

Here, string theory is actually appealing, as it does have a highly
visual mechanism. I think it might be worth your while to understand
this aspect of string theory.

Yes, I'm familiar with the String theory visualization -- I've found a
few uses for it, such as multi-dimensional curling. But I'm leaning more
towards the Loop Quantum Gravity visualizations nowadays. I think a
combination of String theory and LQG might eventually become the
acceptable theory. LQG still requires multi-dimensionality like String
does, but it doesn't have to become the focus of that theory.

For example, the concept of bosons vs. fermions: fermions cannot occupy
the same quantum state, bosons can. How can multiple bosons occupy the
same quantum state, unless you visualize bosons occupying different
quantum states in dimensions above our 4 dimensions? Also when you get a
Bose-Einstein Condensate, you can turn a bunch of fermions into a large
super-boson, you definitely need to use multi-dimensions there.

Even the concept of point particles, like quarks and leptons having mass
requires the energy to loop around within them in virtual dimensions
above our own.

Yousuf Khan