Old January 4th 13, 12:22 PM posted to sci.space.history
Bob Haller

Default light up the earth, to save energy and increase safety

On Jan 4, 1:19*am, Snidely wrote:
On Thursday, David Spain exclaimed wildly:

On 1/3/2013 6:29 PM, bob haller wrote:
On Jan 3, 5:30 pm, David Spain wrote:
On 1/3/2013 12:11 PM, bob haller wrote:

Build some big reflectors in earth orbit to illuminate earth during
the night.

No thanks, I enjoy my rural night sky which on clear moonless nights can
deliver seeing of objects down to magnitude 6 with the unaided eye.
And lower using averted vision.

Dave

it would save oil, make night driving safer, and could end at say
10PM, so night sky lovers would be accomidated.....

say create daylight savings time year round of the longest day of the
year

paid for by savings on oil

You of all people should not forget the risks!

Let me refer you to a personal favorite, a little short story by
Issac Asimov entitled "Nightfall":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightfa...story_and_nove....

And it isn't fiction that lack of darkness during sleeptime is bad for
some animals, including a certain primate that might be involved in
such a project.

/dps

lack of darkness during sleep time is fine during the summer isnt it?

the reflectors will use a cheap type thin material and unroll in
orbit, using probably a falcon vehicle. its probably best to limit the
size so one debris imact doesnt take out a huge reflector