Old November 17th 10, 04:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

Default ASTRO: SH2-282

Excellent image -

I haven't imaged the winter Sharpless objects, I tend to favor
wintergalaxies and the bright nebulae.

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 22:47:01 -0600, Rick Johnson
wrote:

Sh2-282 is an emission nebula excited by HD 47432, an O9 star which is
the bright star that gave me fits in the upper left of the image. It
seems to be surrounded by a faint bubble or maybe just an arc of HII
emission. I thought it part of the horrid reflection it gave me but it
is real. Galaxy map puts it about 5000 light years distant one place
and another says it is about 4000 light years away. Take your pick. I
can't fit it all into my frame so picked the more interesting, to me at
least, part to include. Galaxy map says it contains 8 cometary
globules. What I see are lots of dense shock fronts all pointing right
to the exciting star.

This is an HaLRGB image. HA was added to the luminosity data using the
lighten mode. It was added at 80% to the red image, 10% to the green
and 20% blue also using lighten mode. Stars were removed from the H
alpha image before the blend so are pure LRGB. The image is noisy. I
needed considerable more H alpha time. If I find time to get more I'll
rework it. This data is from last January.

14" LX200R @ f/10, Ha=3x30' L=4x10' RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick