Old August 12th 14, 07:42 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

Default Mars Spectacular

palsing wrote:
On Monday, August 11, 2014 2:50:23 PM UTC-7, Mike Collins wrote:

You can decide whether or not this is acceptable:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1122531... noredirect=1

This link will take you to a slideshow of the views of the sun at

Hammerfest, just inside the arctic circle, at midsummer.

You can easily see how the sun, planets and stars all follow the same path

around the pole. As the sun reaches the edge of the slide the viewpoint

changes. For the southern views the projection changes to allow views of

the sun and Polaris.

This is my first try at such a slideshow. You may have to copy and paste

the link to make it work.

I chose Hammerfest rather than the North Pole because you can go there

yourself that this simulation is correct.

Mike, tell me about that arc on each frame that is labeled "+ 30". Is
that northern declination, or something else?

The reason I ask, of course, is that the Sun never gets any higher than
about 23.5 degrees north declination... just sayin'...

\Paul A

Altitude; this is a simulation using Luminos.