Old April 13th 08, 04:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

Default ASTRO: a quickie M51 from the backyard last night

Richard Crisp wrote:

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message

Richard Crisp wrote:

"Doug W." wrote in message

That looks good!... I assume 3 min. subs to avoid saturation... talk
about
light grasp....

yes, that's right Doug. The Dream Machine, even with 180,000 electron
well capacity, will saturate on the core of the smaller galaxy if I go
past three minutes unfiltered.

the camera has amazing QE and the 24 x 24 micron pixels really grab the
light

With my seeing, I almost always bin 2x2 to get 18 micron pixels. Cuts
exposure time by 4. If seeing is really bad I'll go to 3x3 but then that
bloom problem can screw up star images so they aren't round. So can't use
it when really bright stars are in the area. When I can get into the
observatory I'll adjust that pot some more. It helped but I didn't go far
enough last time I tried. Right now there's over a meter of snow on the
deck and stairs. I can't even open the screen door to get to the deck.
It's just too heavy. I had it open then high winds put a 6' drift in
front of the door. I won't be going out for some time. That will take a
while to melt.

Yeah, when I heard the news about your big snowstorm a few days ago I
thought about you up there....

geez you've had a really tough winter this year!

It was all clouds and no snow which we really needed. What snow we got
came with well below zero temperatures and had no moisture in it. It
was like shoveling feathers there was so little to it. Then these two
storms hit to make up for it. So heavy, if you lift a shovel full all
you do is bend the blade of the shovel back until the snow falls off. I
ruined one and my wife ruined one. The plastic one broke the handle
off. So we finally got some much needed moisture. Still those with
their roofs collapsed into their homes or businesses aren't so happy
about it. A lot of garages collapsed taking the cars with it. Owners
are finding if the garage is detached from the house the common
homeowner's policy up here doesn't cover it! Takes a snow damage rider
few knew they needed. Many are looking at suing the agents who didn't
disclose this. Also, many to save money spaced the rafters too far
apart. They thought they saved money. I even over built the
observatory roof using steel rather than wood due to the snow. It
handled the load just fine.

Rick