Old December 12th 18, 08:17 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

Default 46P, can't see

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 23:59:16 -0800 (PST), StarDust
wrote:
I meant common fractions, what we use in daily life, 1/2, 1/4, 3/8

etc...
Get it?
Carpenter don't use 167/200? 1/16" is good enough to cut a 2x4!
Try to measure 167/200" with a measuring tape from Home Depot, eh?
Some how you have difficulty understanding things?

I see. You are stuck with that outdated inefficient system of units
of feet and inches. While the rest of the world has gone metric, the
USA, Burma and Liberia prefer to stick to their outdated systems of
measurements.

No, I don't want to measure 167/200 inches with a measuring tape from
Home Depot which probably only measures inches anyway. I'd much
prefer to measure 0.835 cm with a **metric** ruler, measuring tape or
other measuring device. That's what we who live in the modern part of
the world do. On metric measuring devices the subdivisions are in
powers of 10, not powers of 2, so decimal fractions are then very
handy to use.

Welcome to the world outside the USA! Yes, it does exist! For real!!!