Old February 6th 12, 08:42 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

Default Earth's Energy Budget Remained Out of Balance Despite UnusuallyLow Solar Activity

On Feb 6, 2:36*am, Sam Wormley wrote:
Earth's Energy Budget Remained Out of Balance Despite Unusually Low
Solar Activity
* *http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/fea...gy-budget.html

* A prolonged solar minimum left the sun's surface nearly free of
sunspots and accompanying bright areas called faculae between 2005 and
2010. Total solar irradiance declined slightly as a result, but the
Earth continued to absorb more energy than it emit throughout the minimum..

* Hansen's team concluded that Earth has absorbed more than half a watt
more solar energy per square meter than it let off throughout the six
year study period. The calculated value of the imbalance (0.58 watts of
excess energy per square meter) is more than twice as much as the
reduction in the amount of solar energy supplied to the planet between
maximum and minimum solar activity (0.25 watts per square meter).
*
* "The fact that we still see a positive imbalance despite the
prolonged solar minimum isn't a surprise given what we've learned about
the climate system, but it's worth noting because this provides
unequivocal evidence that the sun is not the dominant driver of global
warming," Hansen said.
*
* According to calculations conducted by Hansen and his colleagues, the
0.58 watts per square meter imbalance implies that carbon dioxide levels
need to be reduced to about 350 parts per million to restore the energy
budget to equilibrium. The most recent measurements show that carbon
dioxide levels are currently 392 parts per million and scientists expect
that concentration to continue to rise in the future.

See:http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/fea...gy-budget.html

We have spoken of an imbalance here for the last few months,one where
modelers use an imbalance of 1465 rotations for 1461 days despite
every indication that the huge daily temperature fluctuations keep
pace with the 1461 rotations in 4 years .

http://prairieecosystems.pbworks.com...0variation.jpg

It is not convenient to dwell on the intentions of others who cannot
read these graphs and put things into proper perspective,just that
reader here now can as astronomers.With Feb 29th approaching,it would
be brilliant to turn a student's attention to what that day represents
in terms of the daily and orbital cycles of the Earth thereby making
amends for some failed propaganda where people actually feel cheated.

I have to ask,do you really want to instruct your students that the
daily temperature fluctuations do not keep in step with the rotation
of the Earth ?.These are the very real challenges facing everyone,not
just astronomers and my thoughts g out to those who know how important
these things actually are.