Old March 4th 07, 08:52 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default better way of seeing noise before image is printed?

On Mar 4, 3:43�pm, "Jason Albertson" wrote:
I like to print photos of images I've taken during planetary imaging
sessions. *I have been printing images for several years, but I always have
the same problem: *I can't seem to see the noise very well until after an
image is printed. *Many, many times I have wasted initial prints because
noise rears its ugly head in the image. *Then I have to go back and try to
gaussian blur the image at the risk of loosing sharpness when the image is
reprinted. *My question is this: *is there any easy way to see noise in
images before they are printed? *If I zoom in 200% or better and readjust
brightness/ contrast, this helps somewhat, but I am usually still
disappointed once the image is printed. *There must be a better way of
seeing/ predicting noise that will show up in photos. *Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Some of the soft ware routines, (i.e. Max DL or AIP4WIN?) alow you
to measure the statistics in a specific and controlled region of the
image. Pick a region of the dark sky and measure the std. dev. Hope
this helps.