Old April 24th 04, 02:22 AM
Michael Barlow

Default Unknown light

Last time I checked (yesterday, PM) the Moon and Venus were WEST in the
evening sky. ;-)

Whoops! I did get the North and South directions right though:-) Any
case, After I posted that I went out to find it again and it was gone.
Jupiter was bright in the South but looking back North I couldn't find the
star I seen earlier. After a while i did find Polaris and I believe the
"Star" would be in that neighborhood. I remembered HeavensAbove.com and
checked that but nothing showed for that time.

What part of the country do you live in? Are their any airports nearby?

Upstate NY. It wasn't a plane because it was stationary and I had the
house as a stationary object as a reference. Plus it wasn't bright enough
(to me) to be a reflection from a plane or a headlight from one. If it was
a Star and Venus was a Magnitude -4.5, I say this "star" would be about -1.
I'll keep my eye on the sky and get a better position fix. I should have
just kept quiet and did the search on my own to find out what it was but
being something completely out of the ordinary kind of gets the heart
pumping.