Old August 14th 09, 09:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
Dave[_10_]

Default [OT] How science is not done

"Chris L Peterson" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 14:16:03 -0400, Dave Typinski
wrote:

Does that matter? I ask again, what possible harm would befall Mr.
Jones and the CRU if non-bona-fide climate researchers were given
access to the source data?

The harm is that others may publish findings that he is entitled to, by
virtue of the fact that he collected the data. That harm is real, and
can be career damaging. This is why scientists don't normally hand out
their raw data indiscriminately. They do provide their raw data to other
researchers, however. I don't know of any reputable journals that accept
papers without the requirement that peer reviewers be given access
(perhaps with certain non-disclosure rules) to raw data.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

The harm is that others may publish findings that he is entitled to, by
virtue of the fact that he collected the data. That harm is real, and
can be career damaging.

One would assume that the original collector of the data would publish his
findings before making the data generally available. the only harm then to
the original scientist is if a "more correct" finding was published
later...in my opinion.

They do provide their raw data to other
researchers, however. I don't know of any reputable journals that accept
papers without the requirement that peer reviewers be given access
(perhaps with certain non-disclosure rules) to raw data.

Peer reviewers should not be the only arbitirs of theory or conclusions
again in my opinion...not that that means much.... :-)

David