Old October 12th 05, 08:15 PM
snidely

Default Demonstrator-2R still missing

New Heatshield Design Tests Europe and Russian Researchers

By Ker Than
Staff Writer
posted: 12 October 2005
06:37 am ET

quote
The European Space Agency's (ESA) Demonstrator-2R spacecraft is still
missing after disappearing last week during re-entry into the Earth's
atmosphere.

The Demonstrator, the latest model of the agency's Inflatable
Re-Entry and Descent Technology (IRDT), is a system that uses an
inflatable cone-shaped heat shield and parachute to return cargo from
orbit.
/quote

Interesting timing for me...I finally read Jim Oberg's Air & Space
article from 2003 a couple weeks ago, and was wondering what the
current news was.

Sounds like this test was more successful...sort of.

/dps