Old October 11th 18, 03:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default C14 seems to be the "go-to" telescope for cutting-edge planetary and moon imaging

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 16:49:43 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

Lots of people seem to use them for this. I wonder if it's because for its aperture, it's portable allowing them (the owners) to seek-out better seeing conditions more easily?

Well, people mostly like their scopes to be portable so they can take
them to dark locations, not locations with better seeing (the latter
often involving much greater travel distances). And you don't need
particularly dark skies for lunar and planetary imaging.

At 14 inches, a telescope's resolution is likely to be limited by
seeing, not optical capability. But lucky imaging techniques, which
are commonly used with bright objects, can overcome that. And since
this method depends upon taking as short of exposures as possible, it
requires lots of photons, and that means aperture helps.

So I'd say that aperture is the key factor, not portability.