Old November 12th 03, 12:31 AM
Henry Spencer

Default Would You Really Pop Like a Balloon in a Vacuum?

In article ,
Velovich03 wrote:
Really fast depressurization may cause various bits of
unpleasantness because there won't be time for pressures to equalize in
places like your ears, but it still won't make you explode.

The "bends" would be an issue, but as you say, no "explosion"...

As I understand it, it's unlikely that you'd get major symptoms from the
bends in the 10-15s you have before you lose consciousness. (I also think
it's unlikely that such symptoms would be your main worry even if you did
get them!).

Mundane and prosaic though it sounds, the dominant problem of a human
exposed to vacuum is simply lack of oxygen. The other effects all seem to
be either reversible or at least nonlethal on the time scale required for
you to die of anoxia.
--
MOST launched 30 June; first light, 29 July; 5arcsec | Henry Spencer
pointing, 10 Sept; first science, early Oct; all well. |