Old July 5th 05, 04:52 AM
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 21:18:22 GMT, Gregory
wrote:

If the image referenced above is "adequate", I guess that would
be OK with me for now...

If your goal is to keep pushing your skills and
produce high quality astroimages, however, you will
rapidly outgrow the DSLR.

Well, that *is* a goal, within my limited budget :-)

Budget is important. If a dedicated astrocamera is out of reach at the
moment, that is a very good reason to go with a DSLR (I'd recommend an
unmodified 300D). You will get pleasing results and learn a lot about
astroimaging. One thing to be aware of is that working with the images
from a DSLR is a lot harder than working with either B&W or individual
color frames from an astrocamera. Calibration, noise removal, and color
processing with a color camera involve a lot of work. If you move on to
a more advanced camera one day, you will be pleased with how much easier
the processing is.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com