Old July 2nd 17, 09:00 PM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy Liefbowitz View Post
On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 19:51:09 +0100,

Am I imagining things or is there really a very faint plumey thing
falling "down" the image from the left-hand side of that galaxy?
If it's real, I'm seeing it as several times the width of the starry
part in length.

It's probably an artifact of the processing.

[
I can't see what you are seeing. All I see is the obvious plume going up and around from the left side and a very faint hint of one from the right side running horizontally below the galaxy that needs much more exposure time to define.

I've attached a severely stretched black and white negative version of the image to bring out faint features and can't see it. Can you use a basic image program to indicate where it is?

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC5698L4X10RGB2X10INVERTBW.JPG