Old September 30th 05, 11:31 PM
Brian Thorn

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 11:28:36 -0700, "Braxus"
wrote:

When they do retire the shuttle fleet whether sooner or later, what is to
happen to the shuttles at that point? I can't see them all ending up at the
Smithsonian, so have they have plans to place them somewhere? I can imagine
one may stay at Kennedy and one in Houston.

We talked about this a week or two ago. My guess is...

Discovery replaces Enterprise at the National Air & Space Museum's
Udvar-Hazy Center (Dulles Annex).

Enterprise transfered to Edwards AFB / NASA Dryden Flight Research
Center, California.

Atlantis remains at Kennedy Space Center, Florida as centerpiece of a
new Space Shuttle Center similar to the Apollo-Saturn V Center.

Endeavour to Johnson Space Center in Houston.

However, others have reported that it might be very difficult to get
any of the Shuttles to Johnson Space Center due to road and bridge
clearance issues. In that case, Endeavour may wind up at the Air Force
Museum in Dayton, Ohio or Marshall Spaceflight Center in Huntsville,
Alabama.

Brian