Old September 30th 05, 09:38 PM
Herb Schaltegger

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:20:56 -0500, ed kyle wrote
(in article .com):

Braxus wrote:
When they do retire the shuttle fleet whether sooner or later, what is to
happen to the shuttles at that point? I can't see them all ending up at the
Smithsonian, so have they have plans to place them somewhere? I can imagine
one may stay at Kennedy and one in Houston.

I would like to see one in the Smithsonian, and the
others stripped of engines and offered for sale at
auction to the highest bidder, with the money going
back to the taxpayers.

But it won't happen because the low winning bid
totals might be embarrassing.

- Ed Kyle

Embarrassing why? What do you think is the fair market of an orbiter
stripped of engines? And why would someone want one without engines?
Or with engines for that matter? The FMV of a 25 year old airframe is
usually determined by the scrap metal buyers at the boneyard anyway.
:-/

--
"Fame may be fleeting but obscurity is forever." ~Anonymous
"I believe as little as possible and know as much as I can."