Old January 14th 06, 06:05 PM posted to sci.space.history

Default New Book: "Unsung Heroes"

"Apollo Moon Missions: The Unsung Heroes" by Billy Watkins, Praeger
Publishing, ISBN 0-275-98702-7

The title really says it all. I'm about 1/3 through this book, and find it
to be pretty doggone superb. Mr Watkins truly has done what few if any
journalists have ever done before, and given us all, especially we Apollo
enthusiasts, a great new twist on the era. For example:

What's the story on the Navy frogman who decontaminated the Apollo 11 crew
in the recovery rafts, and then was in turn swabbed down by Armstrong?

What about the journalist got "drafted" by James Webb, and later demanded
NASA have a TV camera on the first landing?

What exactly got Steve Bales in that critical Mission Control chair on A-11?

Who stayed up all night trying to write something for the Apollo 8 Christmas
Eve broadcast, only to be bailed-out by his wife?

How about the guy who had to figure out how to get a nearly meter-long
telephoto lens in place inside the CM, so Swigert could photograph the
crippled Service Module on A-13?

He has a couple minor errors, such as calling one whole booster stack a
Saturn-IVB, but it certainly doesn't detract.

Run, don't walk to your bookseller or Amazon.com

-- JW

Whizzospace.com