Old November 30th 18, 05:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown[_3_]

Default Here it is: the real impact of global warming

On 29/11/2018 18:59, Quadibloc wrote:
On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 4:42:29 AM UTC-7, Martin Brown wrote:
In the USA it has become a party
political issue where Republicans think that trashing the planet for
short term profit is OK.

That may well be, but the only way to quickly make progress on stopping global
warming is to avoid making it a divisive political issue.

It is already a massively devisive political issue at least in the USA.
Fat ugly Americans for a dead planet voted Trump into the Whitehouse. I
note that he isn't meeting his Russian handler this time in Argentina.

A nation of people who mostly CBA to look after their own bodies can
hardly be expected to care about looking after the planet.

Instead, it needs to be something everyone can agree on. Hence, I think our best
hope is nuclear power: abundant energy in unlimited quantities for a strong and prosperous America!

Nuclear power is a possiblity - more so if we can harness fusion but for
the moment all the no regrets energy saving measures should be the first
step rather than profligate fuel consumption just for the hell of it.

We tried harder during the 1970's OPEC oil crisis than we are doing now.

The UK nuclear program is in complete disarray since no-one wants to pay
for it and a lead contractor has just effectively gone bust.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ge-of-collapse

I could have picked several others also on the verge of going under
after multiple delays, budget and schedule overruns. This one is just
the most recent high profile nuclear power MFU in the UK.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown