Old March 29th 15, 10:55 PM posted to sci.space.tech
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

Default NASA?s Low-Density Supersonic Decelerator Project preparing for second test

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

NASA?s Low-Density Supersonic Decelerator Project (LDSD ) is preparing
to launch its second saucer-shaped, rocket powered test vehicle into
near-space from the Navy?s Pacific Missile Range Facility on Kauai,
Hawaii, in June.

http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/mi.../nasas-flying-
saucer-prepares-for-another-spin/

I think this qualifies as new tech. I'm quite happy to see NASA
investing in this technology. Returning large payloads to earth in a
cost effective way would benefit ISS an has possible applications to
future commercial and exploration missions.

I agree. This strikes me as "basic research" that NASA should continue to
help with.

More importantly than returning stuff to Earth, I think this will continue
our efforts of landing large payloads on Mars.

Landing anything capable of supporting a crew is by necessity going to have
to be quite large and current tech just isn't really up to the job.