Old August 17th 09, 01:44 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default OT - Military Channel

Brian Thorn wrote:
On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 12:00:16 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

My main complaint is the selection of "Great Planes". I really
wouldn't consider the F-100, A-7, or A-26 "great".

I guess after a while you run out of the obvious ones, and end up with
choices like that.
All three of those aircraft had fairly long and successful operational
histories, and the program on the A-26 was interesting to watch, as it's
not that well known, and they did cover the A-20 Havoc in the same
episode. I had a Monogram model of a Invader as a kid, and frankly
didn't have a clue as to what is was or where it came from...it sure
didn't look like a Marauder of some sort:
http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com...-p6invader.JPG
Which leaves a good question - why exactly was it later given a "B-26"
designation after it had already been used by the Marauder?
My favorite "Wings" episode was the one where the B-17 was credited
with carrying ten _50 mm_ machine guns, which should have made any
German fighter very hesitant about attacking it.

Pat