Old February 15th 06, 02:31 PM posted to sci.space.moderated,sci.space.policy

Default Moral Equivalent Of A Space Program

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote:

:"Fred J. McCall" wrote in
:
:
: h (Rand Simberg) wrote:
:
::On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 12:29:04 -0500, in a place far, far away, "Will
::McLean" made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
::such a way as to indicate that:
::
:: The CEV is sized to carry up to six, and the shuttle can't carry
:: anything like fifty thousand pounds of payload to ISS.
::
:: I wasn't thinking ISS per se, just LEO. But it can still carry a lot.
:: And bring it back, which CEV will be unable to do.
::
::The CEV should be able to bring back a fair amount unmanned, although
::not as much as the shuttle.
::
::Nowhere near as much, and only in small pieces.
:
: How much stuff do we REALLY need to bring back like that? How much
: have we brought back in the past, other than the odd satellite or two?
:
:Failed station components, like the CMGs, so we can learn why they failed
:and fix the problem in the next batch.

And they're not all that big. Roughly the size of a washing machine.

--
"Rule Number One for Slayers - Don't die."
-- Buffy, the Vampire Slayer