Old September 17th 08, 06:54 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Pat Flannery

Default Shuttle program extension?

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
Really? Can you find a diagram of Los Angeles class submarines and tell me
where the lifeboats are?

The Russians actually put escape spheres for the crew on theirs.
The only time it ever got used operationally was then the "Mike" class
sub K-278 "Komsomolets*" sank and some of the crew separated the escape
sphere from the sail... only a few of the crew survived the ascent, but
without it the whole crew would have been dead:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_...78_Komsomolets

* Strange name... it refers to the Soviet youth organization the
"Komsomol" - picture a communist version of the Boy Scouts.or Hitler Youth.
I actually got drunk enough at a party in Russia to call a young member
of the Russian Army's tactical missile forces a great Komsomol member.
Then I got punched out, although thanks to the vodka I didn't even feel
it. :-D

Pat