Old May 25th 06, 02:06 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.station

Default ...Lesson for Nasa! US Airmail and Aviation

h (Rand Simberg) wrote:

Right, that's why we'll eventually use up the oil supply.

No, we won't. We will always have oil. We may stop using it, but
we'll never run out.

Yep. Simple laws of supply and demand say that an increasingly scarce
resource will become increasingly expensive. Long before oil is used
up, some other energy source will be more cost-effective. It's the
whale oil story.

Just to be contrary, though, I can imagine a scenario where a
bioengineered petroleum-eating microbe, originally intended to help
clean up such things as supertanker spills, gets out of control and
begins consuming underground oil reserves.