Old May 17th 06, 12:42 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.station

Default ...Lesson for Nasa! US Airmail and Aviation

Rand Simberg wrote:

Derek Lyons wrote:

And there has been about a billion dollars of investment in private
space vehicles recently.

So?

So, significant money disagrees with Mr. Oldover (not surprising, since
most sensible people do).

Significant money disagreed with those who thought the dot com era
might become the dot bomb era. (And your reply, as quoted below,
indicates that Mr Oldover is in fact correct, the money didn't come
from the financial world - it came from the goverment.)

It came from both.

And I find it fascinating how you define 'sensible people' as 'people
who agree with your world view'.

That is not how I define 'sensible people. I find it fascinating that
you think that it is. Ordover has a long history of being a
non-sensible person.

I think it is, because you said so in plain black and white (at least
those are the colors on my monitor). Or, you may be playing word
games again.

Furthermore, much of the investment in private space is represented by
a few individuals - not the broader financial world.

Much of that money is state government money.

Oh? What private vehicles did which states invest in?

I misstated it. I meant private space industry more generally, not just
vehicles. I was referring to spaceports.

Spaceports aren't private space industry - they are spots where
private space industry may (someday) ply their trade. Goverments of
various levels have a long history of making such investments - but
it's very much a case of 'if you build it they *may* come'.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL