Old May 16th 06, 08:14 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.station

Default ...Lesson for Nasa! US Airmail and Aviation

wrote:

: Significant money disagreed with those who thought the dot com era
: might become the dot bomb era.

: I'm on record as opposing investment in dot coms too - I in fact
: forbade my broker from going near them. From the beginning I said that
: IMHO the web is a publicity tool, an indexing tool, and a catalogue
: service, and not much else. So far that has proven true. Even
: successful companies like eBay and Google are cataloguing and indexing
: services and nothing else.

Good point. The 'portals', like Yahoo and others, is still out to jury
whether they survive or not. Not everyone can be a portal and blogs tend
to not be marketable other than for adds. Info sites like Wiki and
Merriam-Webster are good but really only add advertising service for
something else. How much more can ecommerce become beyond being able to
on-line shop? Same basic setup universally, add things to your basket,
checkout, pay and shipping info. So, the web has been tapped.

Eric