Old May 14th 06, 01:59 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.station

Default ...Lesson for Nasa! US Airmail and Aviation

wrote in message
oups.com...

Besides, I'm not talking about the foreseeable future.
I'm talking about the future. Ultimately, say a century
or two down the road, where will our energy come
from? Solar power is the obvious conclusion.

So the oil has run out - where do we get our energy?

Wind power, tidal power, geothermal power, Earth-based solar power, and
fission reactors (more of which are being built right now) are all far
more cost-effective than anything that has to be launched into space,
maintained in space, replaced in space when it wears out, etc. etc.
Waste vegetation can be turned into fuel fairly easily, too (which is a
kind of solar energy, really). The combination of all these
Earth-based approaches will keep the price of power down way below any
motivation to get power from space.

You're forgetting about the rest of the world that doesn't live
in a western-like economy. China is growing at ten percent
a year. Indonesia, India and the Asian tigers are having explosive
growth. Now these countries have very little industrialization.

When the rest of the world becomes as industrialized and energy
hungry as we are, they will be pump this planet dry. And all the
while using very little pollution controls.

You're looking at this backward - starting with the assumption that we
will go into space, then trying to justify it

No, you have it backwards. All things being equal, the simplist
explanation or solution is generally the best one.

Small steps do not lead to great accomplishments.
As the insignificance of each step fails to inspire
the next one. And is swept away by the next issue
that comes along.

A /large goal/ inspires and initiates those countless small steps
in pursuit of the long term dream. As the large goal has
magnificent benefits and countless justifications.

One approach fails, the other succeeds.

An intelligent and inspiring goal is the first step to success.