Old December 24th 05, 05:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Sad Christmas Story

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 11:13:05 -0500, Davoud wrote:

Had no
trouble distinguishing between benign myth and reality, be it beautiful
or harsh. Still don't. Believed in Santa Claus. Still do,
metaphorically.

Of course, and that is what distinguishes you as a rational person.

Today, at age 61, when a child asks me if I believe in
Santa Claus (as will happen tomorrow with many children visiting,) I
say of course I do. "But how does he..." "Magic, that's how." I have
yet to destroy any young intellects in this way.

Excellent. This is something that true intellects work out for
themselves.

Jeez! Next I'll be accused of attempting to legislate Santa Claus into
the schools! My remarks on believing in Santa Claus may be seen as a
metaphor for the magical myths that are cherished by children in every
society.

I understood your meaning, Davoud. I used "Santa Claus" in the same
sense.

A child's belief in those myths does nothing to stifle the rational
thought process; indeed, I am quite convinced that they help to jump
start it.

I agree.

One of the brightest people I know -- a dear friend, colleague, fellow
Humanist-Rationalist, fellow progressive, PhD(s), respected researcher,
theoretician, teacher, &c -- has probably never read a work of fiction
in his life, except maybe as assigned in some academic course. Didn't
read Tolkien, saw only the first Star Wars, didn't get it. Gets dragged
by his wife (also an academician) to Harry Potter movies, doesn't enjoy
them. Definitely has a chunk missing from his life.

I agree. His seems a very sad world view to me.

I blame his
upbringing by a strict, humanist-rationalist father who happened to be
be a Christian minister -- and no, I don't see a contradiction there.

Agreed, there is not necessarily a contradiction there. But neither is
there any contradiction between being a "strict, humanist-rationalist"
and someone who appreciates the power and beauty of myth. It just sounds
to me like your friend was raised badly (in certain respects)- nothing
specifically related to the labels you've used.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com