Old October 31st 03, 12:38 AM
Al Arduengo

Default Marine Battery? Jump-Start Battery? Power Inverter?

Hi Russ,

My solution was a Marine Deep Cycle battery from WalMart ($48) rated at
115aH (115 amp hour). I bought a 350Watt inverter and a 1-to-3 12V
receptacle splitter. Connect both the inverter and splitter to the
battery (make sure to add fuses if necessary!) and I am able to run my
scope, dew heater, laptop and music source for a few nights. The
battery is quite heavy but worth it. In your case, you may not get as
much time as I do simply because of all the extra stuff you want to
power. Add up all the power usage (watts) for you equipment (should be
printed on the box/tag/instructions/case and make sure you get an
inverter that can handle all the power combined of the stuff you want to
run on AC. Be careful not to use the PEAK power output of the inverter
as your guide. Inverters usually have a peak and nominal rating and
nominal is usually half of peak. USE THE NOMINAL!! or you might burn
something up. :-/

Email me if you have specific questions and I will be glad to assist.

Best,
-Al A.

(Russ)
writes:

I'm looking for a portable power source for my LX90 and imaging equip.
I am not an electronics buff, and I am confused by all the different
posts that I have seen regarding this. In addition to the scope, I
want to power a video camera, monitor, & VCR. What kind of portable
power supply do I need? Do I need to be concerned with amps, volts,
watts, wobbelators, kenuten valves? AND, where does a power inverter
fit in to all this? Do I need one of those too?

Thank you in advance.

** If you want to send me e-mail, remove the NOSPAM from my address **

--
~/.signature