Old October 30th 03, 06:09 PM
Kipper

Default Marine Battery? Jump-Start Battery? Power Inverter?

"Russ" wrote in message
I'm looking for a portable power source for my LX90 and imaging equip.
I am not an electronics buff, and I am confused by all the different
posts that I have seen regarding this. In addition to the scope, I
want to power a video camera, monitor, & VCR. What kind of portable
power supply do I need? Do I need to be concerned with amps, volts,
watts, wobbelators, kenuten valves? AND, where does a power inverter
fit in to all this? Do I need one of those too?

Thank you in advance.

** If you want to send me e-mail, remove the NOSPAM from my address **

Inverters convert DC to AC. The ones you might be interested in also
convert the car battery voltage to domestic mains voltage. I use a power
inverter when at a dark spot to keep all my stuff in juice for the duration
because I drive to a dark spot. I plug the inverter into the cigarette
lighter socket of the car and have mains voltage to plug things into (like
VCRs).

Yes you need to watch your WATTS. Simply add up all the Watts that
everything you want to plug-in uses and the power inverter has to be more
than that (the more the better). One thing you need to watch is your car
battery! It may be worth a periodic engine run to keep it charged. For
example, monitor: 80watts, VCR 60 watts, scope power supply 25 watts; total
is 165 watts. You'd really be looking at a 200+watt inverter, but that's
just an example. Always read the VA value or Watts value at the mains
voltage (ie input voltage), not, for example in a power supply, the output
watts or VA value.

You might want to ensure your wabbelators don't drop off in the cold...

Cheers
--
K.