Old July 9th 08, 04:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected][_2_]

Default Response to Dwight

On Jul 8, 5:10*pm, oriel36 wrote:
---snip---

*I know why we have seasons. I know why siderial time is different. I
know why
there are leap seconds. I know why what Newton said is correct.
*What is your story?
Dwight

I have no idea why you choose to believe in things which have no basis
in direct observations and especially in this era when it is possible
to look down at the Earth from space or learn lessons from time lapse
footage of the other planets.I know you cannot show me what the
motions of the planets look like from the Sun to resolve retrogrades
while at the same time explaining the daily cycle of the Earth,that
alone is enough to demonstrate why the majority of people no longer
know that the Earth orbits the Sun let alone be familiar with the
reasoning behind heliocentric motion.

Hi
I observe things at different levels. What I know and what I observe
my at times seem to conflict but I do know that the earth orbits
the sun and that the seasons are the result of the axis tilt relative
to the orbit. I also know that the seasons are not balanced because
the orbit is not circular.
When sailing, there is a thing called apparent wind. It is the
direction
that a flag will point caused by the air over it. To a person on the
boat,
it is real wind but relative to the Earth, it is not real. It is
created by
the motion of the boat. Even the speed of the boat as measured
by the speedometer is not the speed relative to the Earth. The
water it self may be moving relative to the Earth.
All these things are things that one must be aware of while sailing
the
boat but I still observe the wind in my face.
Taking all that I observe and all that I know, I still see the sun
rise
in the morning. It is not a mistake, it is a point of reference.
It is a useful reference on dealing with the daily duties. It would
not
be useful on a trip to Mars, just as the apparent wind felt on the
boat is not useful in determining the exact direction to take on
the sail boat. It is still useful on a hot day.
Dwight